Ciara Flaherty of Springboard Communications emphasizes the importance of striking a balance between artificial intelligence (AI) and human involvement in internal communications within organizations. While AI-powered communication tools offer efficiency and automation in drafting personalized messages, it is crucial to maintain a human touch to convey empathy and understanding. Flaherty discusses the pros and cons of utilizing AI for internal communications and highlights the need for a clear AI usage policy shared with employees.
- Efficiency vs. Human Touch
- AI tools like ChatGPT, Jasper, or Anyword can boost efficiency in internal communications by automating content creation.
- AI-generated content lacks empathy and understanding, and overreliance on automation may lead to distrust or ignorance by employees.
- Human oversight is essential to ensure quality, accuracy, and emotional resonance in communications.
- Data Analysis vs. Trust and Security
- AI's analytical tools provide valuable insights through data analysis, helping organizations make informed decisions and streamline strategies.
- Quality of insights depends on the quality of data, and handling sensitive information requires human judgement, empathy, and ethical considerations.
- AI can process large amounts of data, but human oversight is crucial for compliance with data protection laws.
- Automation vs. Misinterpretation
- Generative AI can automate repetitive tasks such as drafting content, managing translations, and scheduling campaigns.
- Automation frees up communication professionals for strategic tasks, but there is a risk of misunderstandings and misinterpretations without human context.
- Human oversight ensures clear, effective, and empathetic communication.
- AI as a Supporting Tool
- AI should be viewed as a supporting tool, not a replacement for human communication professionals.
- Organizations need a holistic approach where AI augments the capabilities of communication teams.
- Clear policies for AI use in internal communications should align with broader communication strategies, with human oversight as an integral part.
Flaherty advocates for a harmonious blend of AI technology and human expertise in internal communications. While AI offers automation, streamlined processes, and data-driven insights, it should complement human communication professionals rather than replace them. Organizations need to establish clear policies for AI use, ensuring a balance that harnesses AI's power while preserving the essential human elements in effective internal communications.