Humane, a startup founded by former Apple employees Bethany Bongiorno and Imran Chaudhri, has officially unveiled the Ai Pin, an innovative AI wearable device. Positioned as a potential replacement for smartphones, the Ai Pin magnetically attaches to the user's lapel, featuring a compact design with a range of sensors and a Qualcomm chip to power its AI capabilities.
Key Features of Ai Pin:
- Wearable Form Factor:
- The Ai Pin is a compact wearable device that magnetically attaches to the user's lapel, offering a hands-free and screenless experience.
- Designed to collect data through an onboard camera, microphone, depth sensors, and motion sensors.
- Voice Control and Interaction:
- Voice control is a central feature, allowing users to engage with the device through a "personic speaker" or paired Bluetooth headphones.
- The device does not employ "wake words" and only activates upon user engagement, addressing privacy concerns.
- Laser Ink Display:
- The Ai Pin features a Laser Ink Display, a unique technology that projects text, such as incoming calls, onto the user's palm in place of a traditional touchscreen.
- The display aims to provide information without the need for a physical screen, aligning with the goal of reducing screen addiction.
- Wireless Connectivity:
- The Ai Pin is designed to function without a tethered smartphone, utilizing a Humane-branded wireless network built on top of T-Mobile.
- The device boasts a unique two-piece design, including a main computer and a battery booster that can be hot-swapped for uninterrupted usage.
- Privacy and Security:
- A "Trust Light" indicator informs those around when the system is recording, addressing privacy concerns associated with wearable cameras.
- The device only activates upon user engagement and does not continuously listen or record, enhancing user privacy.
- Cosmos Operating System and AI Bus:
- The Ai Pin runs on the Cosmos operating system, which includes the proprietary AI Bus framework.
- The AI Bus quickly understands user needs, connecting them to the right AI experiences without the need for downloading or managing apps.
- Collaborations with Microsoft and OpenAI:
- Humane highlights collaborations with Microsoft and OpenAI, providing Ai Pin access to powerful AI models and platforms.
- The device is positioned as standalone, eliminating the need for pairing with a smartphone.
- Humane.center for Customization:
- Users can customize the device experience off-device using the Humane.center service.
- The platform serves as a central hub for managing and accessing data, ensuring a streamlined interaction from setup to daily use.
The Ai Pin is set to be available for order starting November 16 in the U.S., with a price tag of $699. Additionally, users are required to subscribe to a monthly fee of $24 for ongoing access to the device and its services.
Humane envisions the Ai Pin as the beginning of its vision to integrate AI into daily life, enhancing human capabilities while minimizing the reliance on traditional smartphones. The device's unique features, collaborative partnerships, and the promise of ongoing updates suggest that Humane aims to redefine how individuals interact with technology. As the device enters the market, its reception and user feedback will likely shape the trajectory of AI wearables in the evolving landscape of ambient computing.