Shutterstock, renowned for its extensive repository of stock images, takes a leap into the future of content creation with AI-driven image editing tools. Empowering users to personalize stock imagery, these capabilities provide creative flexibility, expand image utility, and align with ethical AI practices.
For two decades, Shutterstock has been a cornerstone for publications, brands, and enterprises seeking stock images to enrich their digital and print materials. Its comprehensive library is a go-to resource for users worldwide.
As generative AI text-to-image models like Adobe Firefly 2, Midjourney, DALL-E 3 in ChatGPT, and Bing Image Generator gain prominence, stock image services face a pressing question: What is their role in a landscape where users can create custom, realistic imagery effortlessly?
Shutterstock rises to the challenge with an innovative solution. The company integrates AI image editing tools into its platform, leveraging OpenAI's DALL-E 2 model to bring new dimensions to stock images. These tools unlock a world of creative possibilities, allowing users to personalize their visual content.
Shutterstock's AI Image Editing Features:
1. Magic Brush: Transform images by brushing over areas and describing changes, making customization a breeze.
2. Variations: Generate alternate versions of stock or AI-generated images to explore different creative directions.
3. Expand Image: Extend the view of any image effortlessly, revealing more of the scene beyond the central focus.
4. Smart Resize: Automatically adjust image dimensions to match specific requirements, simplifying the adaptation of visuals.
5. Background Remover: Seamlessly eliminate or replace backgrounds to enhance image suitability for various applications.
6. AI Image Generator: In beta and soon to be updated with DALL-E's latest version, this tool enables users to create ethically sourced visuals by describing their vision.
Shutterstock's new features aim to make the user experience more dynamic and tailored. By offering tools for image modification, color adjustment, and text and shape addition, the platform enables users to transform stock images to fit their specific needs.
The company's approach to AI differs in key aspects from rivals. Its AI features are primarily intended for enhancing existing Shutterstock imagery, respecting the contributions of its creative community. Users can download both the original and AI-altered images, ensuring creators are fairly compensated.
While the AI editing features demonstrate promise, some limitations persist, such as processing times. Shutterstock acknowledges the need for responsible and ethical AI use, reflecting its commitment to content authenticity and contributor protection.
It is a member of the Content Authenticity Initiative (CAI), focusing on transparency and trust in digital content. The company plans to integrate the CAI's Coalition for Content Provenance and Authenticity (C2PA) standard into its AI capabilities and creativity tools, supporting content authenticity.
Shutterstock's introduction of AI image editing tools represents a milestone in content customization. It positions the platform as a hub for creativity, offering users the ability to enhance and adapt stock images for a myriad of applications. With ethical AI practices at its core, Shutterstock ensures both creators and users benefit from these cutting-edge capabilities.