YouTube is set to implement new guidelines related to AI-generated content, requiring creators to disclose if their videos include realistic but altered or synthetic content generated with AI tools. This disclosure is aimed at preventing users from being misled by content that uses AI to create events, speeches, or actions that did not occur.
Creators consistently failing to disclose AI-generated content may face penalties such as content removal, suspension from the YouTube Partner Program, or other consequences. YouTube plans to roll out these changes gradually, working with creators to ensure understanding and compliance.
- Disclosure Requirement
- Content creators on YouTube will need to disclose if their video contains altered or synthetic content created with AI tools.
- Examples include AI-generated videos depicting events that never happened or content portraying individuals saying or doing things they did not actually do.
- Failure to consistently disclose AI-generated content may lead to penalties such as content removal and suspension from the YouTube Partner Program.
- Labels for AI-Generated Content
- Once the disclosure requirements are implemented, YouTube will add labels to the video description panel indicating that the video contains altered or synthetic content.
- Certain sensitive topics may receive more prominent labels to ensure user awareness.
- Enforcement of Community Guidelines
- Even if a video correctly labels itself as AI-generated content, it may still be removed if it violates YouTube's Community Guidelines.
- This enforcement mechanism aims to address the potential harm associated with certain topics, emphasizing the importance of compliance with community standards.
- Clear Identification of YouTube's Generative AI Products
- Content created by YouTube's generative AI products and features will be clearly labeled as altered or synthetic, providing transparency to users.
- Removal Requests for AI-Generated Content
- YouTube will introduce the ability to request the removal of AI-generated or other synthetic/altered content that simulates an identifiable individual, including their face or voice.
- This privacy request process allows users to seek the removal of content that raises concerns, offering recourse.
- Music Partners' Removal Requests:
- Music partners will have the option to request the removal of AI-generated music content that mimics an artist's unique singing or rapping voice.
- This feature aims to address concerns related to AI-generated music content and protect artists' originality.
YouTube's upcoming guidelines on AI-generated content, including disclosure requirements, labels, and removal mechanisms, highlight the platform's commitment to addressing the challenges associated with synthetic media. These measures aim to enhance transparency, protect users from misinformation, and provide mechanisms for recourse in cases where AI-generated content raises privacy or authenticity concerns.
Read more about YouTube: